Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Day to Remember



Well. What a morning we have had, Anna and I. My poor sweet little thing.

Anna had a doctor's appointment this morning, so I bathed her carefully, lotioned her chubby little arms and legs, and dressed her in one of my favorite outfits. I packed her bag, putting extra diapers, two extra outfits, Ziploc baggies for those diapers that you can't dispose of at the doctor's office, and an extra changing pad.

We arrived five minutes early to the appointment (I have to mention this, because it is a rare thing indeed!) and we were shown to our room right away. Anna's doctor has the neatest exam rooms, each with a different decor. Today, we were in the "penguin room" and Anna was fascinated. She got so excited by the wall mural that she got the hiccups and then wanted to nurse to get rid of them. She was wrapped up snugly in her fanciest chenille blanket that is so soft and cozy, wearing only a diaper since she had to be weighed. She nursed and then I sat her in my lap to burp her while we waited for the doctor to come in.

Anna's pediatrician walked in and Anna looked so relaxed and comfortable, wrapped up in her soft blanket, cheeks full and rosy from a good feeding. Her little chubby arms were hanging out over the top of the blanket and she had this little satisfied half-smile on her face. No sooner had the doctor commented on how relaxed and happy she looked, than Anna made a loud gurgling noise and messed her pants.....up out of the top and back of her diaper, all over her best blanket. Yes, my friends...the blanket is white. The doctor and I were giggling, and Anna, much to my dismay, just kept filling her pants (well, actually, they were already full) and grunting. How can such a sweet, lovely baby make such a gross mess??

I cleaned Anna up and asked for a trash bag to take the blanket home in (should I be carrying those in my diaper bag?!) and then handed Anna over to the doctor to be examined. While Anna was getting her ears, eyes, and mouth checked, she got a little excited and grabbed the doctor's stethoscope by accident. She got so startled that her little hand flew up towards her own face, leaving a long scratch from a sharp little fingernail that her mother (oops) must have missed during the weekly nail clipping. She screamed in pain as the cut started to bleed.

After she calmed down and her exam was over, the nurse came in with (yep, you guessed it) four needles, ready to poke my little girl. Anna, by this time, had started to doze and was awakened by the sharp stinging of the needles in her chunky little thighs. She looked at me in horror and screamed and I told the nurse to say something so that Anna could hear her voice and know it wasn't ME that was giving her those shots! Anna cried and cried and finally calmed down so that we could walk out to the front desk.

Thirty minutes earlier, we had strolled into the office smiling, chatting about the sunshine with the receptionist, and looking forward to a good day. As I left with Anna wrapped in my coat, her blanket and a diaper in a clear (and stinky!) plastic trash bag in my hand, and a long bleeding scratch down her cheek, I chuckled to myself and knew that there would be other days like this to come. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like something that would happen to me. I'm glad that you could laugh about it!(ha) At least you were walking out of her appt. into sunshine, and not rain. Give her a kiss on the cheek from me. Love you all!

Katrina said...

Poor Anna...and poor Mommy! It's amazing how fast a sweet-smelling, happy little baby can become, well, not.

Glad you were able to take it in stride! And now you've got those nasty shots out of the way (at least until next time...)