Sunday, November 26, 2006

First Snow



The First Snow of the Season is such an amazing event for children. I myself got excited when I heard my son say this morning, "Mom, it's SNOWING!" I jumped (okay, really it probably looked more like a roll) out of bed and looked out my window to see the snow cascading down, covering our yard and deck.

I grinned, wrapped my robe around my ever-enlarging belly, and went in to the living room to see how long it would take before Andrew begged to go outside to play in the wintery whiteness. Three minutes. Tim and I just chuckled and told Andrew to look down at what he was wearing. We are now in the stage of "pick whatever you want to wear to bed" and Andrew had chosen a short-sleeved T-shirt and pajama shorts. He laughed and laughed and we told him that after breakfast and after he was ready for church, he could go out for just a few minutes and feel the snow and play if he promised not to get too soaking wet.

Harry was eager to go out and play as well, so he and Andrew enjoyed the snow together for about five minutes before it was time for us to leave for services. As soon as we got home, he begged to go back out and this time, we had him bundle up a bit more. The snow was already melting, but he was determined to get some more use out of it before it disappeared. He tried to make a basketball-sized snowball and then attempted to make a basket....but realized after he missed that it was a one-shot kind of thing. :) It is so fun to see how delighted he can be with such a simple thing as a half an inch of snow in the yard. Kids are great.

I remember being about Andrew's age and dreaming and praying for snow so that we could go make a snowman and snow angels and go sledding. I must really be getting old because after my initial excitement this morning, I realized that I have no desire to go out and get soaking wet and be cold. I also started to worry about the roads since Tim has to drive into Oregon and back each day for work. I started thinking, "What if it is a snow day tomorrow?? Andrew has been off from school for over a week!" What happened to my "Yay, it's snowing, look how beautiful and wintery it looks" thoughts? I am feeling old and somewhat cynical. Maybe I need to spend more time with just Andrew and his childish delight will wear off on me. It's certainly worth a try. :)

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Ha! Look at the glee on that face! Delight in the snow is such a universal kid thing, isn't it? Mine were begging to play in it today, too, and since it's going to be in the teens for the rest of the week, they'll probably get more than they want!

I'll be delighted, too, after we get our snow tires put on tomorrow (nothing like a little procrastination...)

Becky Reeves said...

Sarah, I loved the pictures of your cute belly and of andrew and the snow!! You all look wonderful! So happy you have had some snow already! I love this age, too. Hannah is becoming such a "young lady" but still sees the world from the innocent, delighted eyes of a child. Give Andrew a big hug from his Aunt Becky! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of the snow. The closest thing we will have here in Tennessee is the inflatable snowman we bought last night to put outside. The weather has been so warm here for several days folks have been wearing flip flops and shorts. Jackson is so excited about the inflatable snowman,he will really go nuts for some real flurries, if we ever get them. You look great and fabulous. I love your hair!!!! I can't believe its taken me over 2 months to get a chance to check out your blog. I will be checking more often. Take care.