Monday, November 30, 2009

Shaking It

Tonight, after nine long weeks of absence, I returned to Zumba. As I was lacing up my dance shoes and adjusting my now-too-tight yoga pants (post-surgery weight shift has done a number on my hips this year!), I tried to replay the dance moves in my head. If you have ever been to a Zumba class, you know that the moves are not typically verbally directed as in an aerobics class, but are rather modeled by the instructor and then theoretically mirrored by the rest of the class. Since I had missed so many weeks, I was certain the rest of the class would be shaking their hips in sync while I struggled to remember the routines.

Not so.

I was relieved to find that some of the songs were new, some of the dancers were first-timers (or at least appeared to be), and that I remembered more than I thought I would.

I first ventured into a Zumba class at our local gym this past Spring and instantly fell in love with the loud music, the rhythmic dancing, and a venue in which to really let loose. I have always thought I would love dancing, but have never really had an outlet for it. If you know Tim at all, you know he is not exactly the dancing type. * I was delighted to find that I could follow the Zumba dances and that I wasn't half bad at it. Although I miss the Zumba instructor, Arzu, whose wild hair and facial expressions captivated us all and had us watching every little move, I appreciate the new instructor as well. Her young energy is inspiring and her dance moves have a bit of a hip-hop flair to them.

After forty-five minutes of shaking my hips, clapping my hands, and doing my best to keep up with the music, I bailed out early. Apparently, nine weeks is not quite long enough to have fully recovered from surgery. I am more than a little bit sore, and have a feeling that getting out of bed in the morning is not going to be a pleasant experience. Next Monday night, however, I will likely be found upstairs at CBRC in the big mirrored room, shaking it with the rest of the class.

I'll just bring more Ibuprofen.


*On top of working five twelve-hour days for our family each week, Tim helps with the cooking, cleaning, and shopping around here. He is a fantastic father and an amazing husband in so many ways. I suppose I can forgive him for not dancing with me..... :)

3 comments:

fran said...

Just like riding a bicycle-- it all comes back? Take it easy- healing does take some time. I love the waterfall picture, by the way!
Love you.

Katrina said...

Our new community center offers Zumba classes--I wasn't sure what they were. You've persuaded me to try them out!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Zumba classes again! I still need to go with you! I know I would die laughing so much! An outlet for laughter and physical activity! Love and miss you!