I remember watching the evening snow fall when I was a young child, my nose pressed up against the sliding glass door, trying to guess how many inches had fallen. I remember praying long and hard for a school delay, or better yet, a snow day, so that we could play outside all day long.
Andrew was rather disappointed this morning when the light sprinkling of snow that was on the ground didn't give cause for a delay. Imagine his delight, however, when the snowfall returned this afternoon and gave us three inches! He burst through the back door after school, begging, "Can I please have a friend over for a snowball fight? Please? PLEASE?!" (Since I am still recovering from a 24 hour stomach bug and didn't want to infect any neighborhood children who might come inside for hot cocoa or a potty break, I said, "not today, bud"). Instead, we all bundled up and went outside to play in the front yard.
As for myself, my feelings about snow have changed, um....a bit over the years. I love to sit inside with a cup of hot tea (and preferably some cookies) and watch the snow gently falling to the ground. God gives us so much beauty in nature, and snow is one of those amazing gifts that never ceases to make me smile....IF:
1) My husband doesn't have to drive in it. He works 45 minutes away, up a BIG hill, and it worries me when he has to drive in bad weather.
2) I don't have to drive in it.
3) I don't have to go play in it for more than thirty minutes. (Am I a party pooper or what?!) Snow is beautiful, but it is also COLD and I don't have any snow gear other than really short boots and some pitiful gloves.
4) I am allowed to make the kids pose in the snow for pictures. Somehow this makes up for the fact that I am actually out IN the snow with them.
I know this makes me sound like a not-so-fun Mommy. I AM really fun. Honestly! I am especially fun in the Summer when we can all go to the pool or the park and the temperatures are well above freezing. :) I also like to play inside where the heater keeps our house at a comfortable 72 degrees.
To my parents- thank you for taking us to Carmichael Hill to go sledding on those horrible freezing cold days when you really wanted to sit inside and read the paper or take a nap. In honor of you, I am going to strive to spend more time playing in the snow with my kids (uggh) and toughen up a bit.
But tomorrow, if the snow is still here, I will likely ask Tim to do it. After all, I AM still recovering from that stomach bug thing. Right? :)
3 comments:
What beautiful kids- and a great snowman.
And you are welcome-- I think your dad actually enjoyed the cold more than I did. (You are my daughter!- I am a summer person, too!) Your kids will have wonderful memories-- and you even took pictures so they could remember! (We must have SOME photos of all that time in the snow!)
Anna and Andrew look so cute on the sled! I love your HuGe snowman! You got a lot of snow! I second the thanks to Mom and Dad for the Carmichael Hill days! I'm with you on the wanting to stay inside! I've even been cold here and found an excuse to make hot chocolate with the preschool boys at school today! It must be in our blood (and I must have acclimated to Togo weather being chilly at 55 degrees:)) Love you!
Cute snowman and I love the picture of the kids on the sled. Too fun! I love Anna's little expressions, they are precious! I am trying to figure out a way to enjoy the weather more too... Jake is already talking about snowboarding with Lena next year!! I want to go somewhere with a warm lodge!!
Mari
Post a Comment