Saturday, August 19, 2006

Baby Bellies

I have often wondered why it is that so many people feel the need to comment on the size of pregnant women's bellies (to their faces). It is one thing to say to someone, "Wow..she has really grown these last few weeks." It is an entirely different thing to say TO the pregnant, hormonal, emotionally unstable woman, "WOW...look at your belly! Are you sure you aren't having twins?"

I am also amazed by the vast difference in opinions. I am currently 18 weeks pregnant and receive such a wide range of comments. My favorite ones, of course, are, "You look fantastic! You are barely even showing for how far along you are!" My least favorite are more like, "Are you in maternity clothes ALREADY?" and "You are looking Very pregnant already!"

I am confused by my reactions to some of these comments. Isn't this what I wanted? I have prayed for so long for this pregnancy and I am ecstatic about it....and yet I am upset about gaining weight, getting rounder, outgrowing my clothes, etc. What is wrong with me? One of my good friends suggested that maybe this type of thinking is God's way of keeping us from ingesting more junky food than we need in order to not completely balloon. Whatever it really stems from, I have decided to fight it. I should be reveling in my roundness, not complaining about it or feeling insecure about it. Pregnancy is beautiful and it only lasts a short while. I Will enjoy it....All of it. :)

1 comment:

Becky Reeves said...

Sarah, you are so very beautiful! (Pregnant or not!) Your beauty is both inner and outer and your little pregnant belly is so nicely shaped! I will pray that you enjoy your ever-increasing size over the next few months! It won't take long before the miracle growing inside you will be outside and in your arms! Love you! -Becky